• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Excel 2003

leoslepak

I cannot paste formulas in Paste Special. It only gives me options of Text or Unicode formats. I could copy and paste formulas in the past. I guess I pressed something unintentionally, and I cannot undo it. Please, help.

Sounds like you are in separate instances of XL. You'll need to close one of the workbooks and re-open it in the same instance as the other workbook.

Thank you very much for your advice. I closed everything, and opened again repeatedly various Excel files. All the same. After my post, the security alerted me that I have a Trojan. I cleaned up my PC, but the problem with Excel did not go away. Could this worm corrupt my application?

Possibly, virus's are unpredictable by nature. It still sounds like someone the files are each getting opened in a separate instance rather than the same one. When you open the files, are you using the Open command within XL, or finding the file in Windows Explorer and then double-clicking?

Hi, leoslepak!

Could you please upload any sample file? And please do the same with the file:

C:UsersYourUserAppDataRoamingMicrosoftExcelXLSTARTPERSONAL.XLSB

This location is for Office 2007/2010 in Windows 7, change it properly for other versions looking for files PERSONAL.XLS*. Also send all other files found in that folder because Excel opens all them after loading.

Refer to second green sticky post at this forums main page for guidelines on uploading.

Regards!

Dear Sir JB&,

Thank youforo your post. I am sorry, but I do not understand your instructions. Could you kindly brake it down for me. Thanks again. Leo

Dear Luke M, I tried to open the files different ways, but in vain. I probably have to reinstall the application. I also think that possibly it could be damaged by a virus. I cannot find a better explanation. Thanks again. Leo

Hi, leoslepak!

Additionally to the probable (and unpredictable until identified) virus option, it might be either Excel issues or restrictions or macros that can alter normal operation like copy & paste (or any other standard feature).

What are this issues or restrictions? Well, I was pointing towards macros that might be loaded automatically on Excel start and then affect all workbooks opened.

This macros are stored in a folder called XLSTART that is placed in Windows 7 under the path: C:UsersYourUserAppDataRoamingMicrosoftExcel (where YourUser is the user named used to identify you at PC start up... note that if you don't have to enter a password you still have a user name which you can see pressing the Start button at bottom left and it will appeared displayed at the upper right panel).

If you have another operative system version it might be stored under other path, but always named XLSTART, so you know what to search for.

When Excel starts if looks for every file under the name *.xl?? (that is to say anything that has an extension of .xls, .xla, .xlm, .xlsx, .xlsm, .xlsb, ... and I don't know if I miss any), and will load it... before opening any workbook.

Specially there is a file called PERSONAL.XLSB (or .xls? in other versions than 2007/2010) where Excel stores recorded macros to be used in all opened books.

Any of this files in XLSTART folder might have VBA code (that's to say macros, instructions, or programs let's say) that could affect or change normal Excel functioning.

That's why I've asked you to find them and upload them with a sample workbook. Why both things? Files from startup and sample workbook? Just for considering all factors inner to Excel. If we find something there you won't need to do anything else than fixing it as suggested; if we don't you'll have discarded macros malfunctioning/restrictions and can focus on virus or uninstalling and reinstalling Excel/Office programs.

Just advise if I wasn't clear enough. Don't care about asking once and once again.

Regards!

PS: in the green sticky posts you'll find the guidelines for uploading under this link

http://chandoo.org/forums/topic/posting-a-sample-workbook

Back