• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Database Entry in Excel

Carmen Cruz

Good morning!

I was wondering if in Excel I can create a data entry database, I want to create a database that captures patient’s admissions and discharges and where case managers can report activity with each patient. The trouble I am having with just the spreadsheet is that I can’t figure out how to arrange each patient’s admissions and discharges when they have more than one. So each patient is one record, but how to do make admissions their own record to match each patient? Do I make any sense at all? Thank you for your time!!!!

Patients Name in first column A, then personal details in B,C,D ect then admittance/discharge dates/time in further columns. One row per patient.
Will lend its self for conversion into a table for searching or even a PT

Hi,

Bob comment hold very good, I just want to add, create a form for admission and discharge. This will require formula and VBA both to work effectively. VBA will help in transferring the data to patient table as advised by @bobhc and formula will require for discharge form.

This is just a starting advise.

Regards,

If you can be so kind and review the attached spreadsheet, I am a visual learner... So as you can see, each patient could have multiple Education dates and Transition dates, I need this spreadsheet to gather organized data so that I can create reportable monthly reports to determine how the program is doing? I just need a little guidance...

Attachments

• COPDTest.xlsx
    14.9 KB · Views: 13
@Carmen Cruz

Can you explain what is edu date & transition date? What is the relation between them?

Than say for Mickey you have two admit date but same discharge date? ???

Regards,

First I want to thank you so much for taking the time to evaluate my sheet... The education date is the date where the Case Managers go into the pt room while admitted and educates on COPD, the transition date is the date when the case manager starts transition services up to 30days after the pt is discharged. The the discharge dates for Mickey are mock dates for the purpose of illustration.

Another example of reports that I would need to generate is how many patients where readmitted within 30days.

@Carmen Cruz

This looks like more of a layered database which excel is not capable of. I think Powerpivot can make it but I am not sure about the full functionality that it will give you which you are looking for.

Can you shift to Access which is capable of handling such a database.

Regards,

Well, I started with Access and I can't seem to get everything to sink all together... Thank you so much for your valuable time; I really do appreciate what everyone does here!!! Thank you!:oops:

Excel was never designed for what you are doing, it is possible but with a lot of work, Access is what you want.

Build your tables with the right data, a table for personal details, a table for admissions and discharge dates, a tables for different treatments, a table for staff who work on the treatments. Think about the tables (with pen and paper) and build as you need, its better to have tables with specific data then one or two tables with all data, messy.

Then build your query's you need, pulling different things of the data tables, you can have many query's returning different views of the data, then build your reports pulling from the query.

If you are going to have different users then build a form for data input, the form can very easily restrict what users can do. Superior security to Excel.

Split the front end from the back end, but the front end on a server and issue the form only to the users.

The only problem that I have with Access is that the rest of the team in the hospital has to have access to this database and not every department has Access. That is why I have decided to create it in Excel...

No, the other teams do not need Access as a stand alone piece of software in each department, your IT will be able to mount it on to a server so that all they need is the free standing form, that's one of the many advantage Access has over flat data bases such as Excel.

Well, you have surely educated me today... I thank you for your most attentive assistance today; it is very much appreciated as well as your time. :rolleyes:

Back