• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Converting Text cell format to date

gabpinheiro

Hi guys,

I have cells with the custom time: hh:mm:ss.000. However, I try to change the format to it and it is not possible.
Excel requires me to include a date before the time like "10-05-2017 hh:mm:ss:000" in the formula bar. After I do it, the format is the one I want.

How can I do it automatically ? Is there a way to include 10-05-2017 in every cell without doing it one by one ?

thanks in advance

Hi ,

Why do you wish to convert what is a time value to a date ?

What is the value that is present in the cell when the format is General ?

What is the format that you want for the cell ?

You can have a format , as follows :

"10-05-2017" hh:mm:ss.000

But isn't this incorrect , as far as users are concerned ? The date will not be a part of the cell contents.

Narayan

Hi ,

Why do you wish to convert what is a time value to a date ?

What is the value that is present in the cell when the format is General ?

What is the format that you want for the cell ?

You can have a format , as follows :

"10-05-2017" hh:mm:ss.000

But isn't this incorrect , as far as users are concerned ? The date will not be a part of the cell contents.

Narayan
Hi Narayan, thanks for your reply.

I need to do this convertion because I need to organize a sheet with the date and time.

I am uploading a file as example.

Attachments

• exceltest.xlsx
    9.4 KB · Views: 1
Hi ,

The problem is that all cells have a leading space , which is why the data is being treated as text and not as a number.

Just do a Text to Columns , excluding the initial space on the left , and the resulting value on the right will automatically be treated as a number , which you can then format suitably.

See the file now.

Narayan

Attachments

• exceltest.xlsx
    9.7 KB · Views: 1
Hi ,

The problem is that all cells have a leading space , which is why the data is being treated as text and not as a number.

Just do a Text to Columns , excluding the initial space on the left , and the resulting value on the right will automatically be treated as a number , which you can then format suitably.

See the file now.

Narayan
Thank you ! Worked fine :)

Back