• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Combining/adding more that two sines/waves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henrik Jensen

I'm trying to make a sheet that shows how the signals add up together with the ability to extract exact numbers if needed.

I've read about how to combine two waves amplitude and phase to get the resulting amplitude, the formula is: =KVROD(A1^2+B1^2+2*A1*B1*COS(B1)). It's a trig function I believe?

But do you know how to combine 3 or more waves with different phase differences and get the resulting amplitude?

I hope you can help me.

Best Regards
Henrik

Hi Somendra Misra,

Thank you very much!
it's a very good sheet that shows how to add two sines.
The initial question was about adding more than two sines, do you also know how to add more than two sines?

I've tried cascading the formula but it shows wrong values for other phase differences than 180. I've also tried summing several formulas but that gives different errors as well.

Best Regards

Henrik
The formula you posted: =KVROD(A1^2+B1^2+2*A1*B1*COS(B1))
Looks remarkably like the Law of Cosines?

If that is what it is I don't know why you would be using that to add 2 Cosine waves together?

You have copied the formulas slightly incorrectly

They are
r = sqrt(a2 + b2 + 2ab cos(A-B))
θ = atan2(a cos A + b cos B, a sin A + b sin B),

Do you have the original equations or parameters available for the various waves?

@Henrik Jensen,

I have attached a workbook in which I have plotted the amplitude resulting from combining sine waves. Currently, it has three waves specified, but that list can be expanded simply by continuing the Height and Period inputs.

The input and plot are on the sheet named "1" and a "Description" sheet shows the formulas defined in the name manager. You can extract the results of the named formulas to a worksheet by array entering the name (i.e, CTRL + SHIFT +ENTER).

Hope that helps.
Ken

Attachments

• WaveProfile_KenU.xlsx
    44.3 KB · Views: 28
KenU,
Nice piece of work
Hui...

@Henrik Jensen,

I have attached a workbook in which I have plotted the amplitude resulting from combining sine waves. Currently, it has three waves specified, but that list can be expanded simply by continuing the Height and Period inputs.

The input and plot are on the sheet named "1" and a "Description" sheet shows the formulas defined in the name manager. You can extract the results of the named formulas to a worksheet by array entering the name (i.e, CTRL + SHIFT +ENTER).

Hope that helps.
Ken

Hi Hui,

Here's the data with a cascaded formula.
It's wrong but at least this shows the idea of what I would like to show, it's the sum of several signals amplitude and phase delay.

I hope that it gives you an idea of the issue.

Attachments

• Sum.xlsx
    331.2 KB · Views: 10
Hi SM,

I had an idea that I would like to sum amplitude and phase of more than 3 signals in excel the simplest way possible and then compare it to different software to see if it is accurate. It's seems that summation of two signals is easy but not 3 or more.

The idea came because summation or addition of several signals really puzzles me and would like to get a better idea of what's going on if not for a real purpose then just for the fun of it. I'm interested in music, speakers and electronic instruments.

The signals in the sheet are not derived from functions, they are just 1 original(no phase delay) and several others with a phase delay. It's similar to connecting 5 sweep generators to a signal mixer and then measuring the output to see the effects at different frequencies.

Thanks, I've seen it a few days ago.
I'm not sure if I have got all the details right, but since he is generating all his sines and displaying them as step response/time response, he is just adding the sines and not summing them together using their amplitude and phase, am I correct? An engineer has told me that I need to use vector summing, so I will try that and see if it works.

After revisiting the post, I realized that the workbook I posted did not allow the user to input a phase shift. I have updated it to include phase shift and to plot the first four wave components separately in order to see the individual contributions to the resultant plot (more than four gets kind of busy).

Essentially, the resulting amplitude is simply the summation of the amplitudes of all components for the corresponding time within the series (horizontal axis is time in seconds).

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Ken

Attachments

• WaveProfile_KenU.xlsx
    95.7 KB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back