1. Welcome to Chandoo.org Forums. Short message for you

Hi Guest,

Thanks for joining Chandoo.org forums. We are here to make you awesome in Excel. Before you post your first question, please read this short introduction guide. When posting or responding to questions please remember our values at Chandoo.org are: Humility, Passion, Fun, Awesomeness, Simplicity, Sharing Remember that we have people here for whom English is not there first language and we need to allow for this in our dealings.

Yours,
    Chandoo
  2. Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

3. When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

12 months rolling trend.

Discussion in 'Ask an Excel Question' started by Ellasheba, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Ellasheba

Ellasheba New Member

Hello all

I have some data across 12 months Jan to Dec. I have created a short trend (month on month) using IF and wingdings characters to show 'up' 'down' or 'no change'. I would have used sparklines, but they dont display a trend line :-(

BUT I need to show the longer term trend over the 12 months and then going forward create a rolling 12 month period.

Can this be done without VBA? I dont know how ot use VBA so really looking for a solution that I can understand please :)

My file wont upload, so Ive posted my data below. I used =IF(L2>K2,CHAR(233),IF(L2<K2,CHAR(234),CHAR(232))) to create the arrows under the short trend title...

Thanks in advance

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Short trend Rolling 12 month trend
    8 4 5 5 14 14 8 5 8 10 13 8 ê
    30 20 38 16 12 67 51 41 52 39 50 38 ê
  2. vletm

vletm Well-Known Member

Something like this with sparklines, without VBA and without Your file?
    Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 15.29.26.png
    Ellasheba likes this.
  3. Ellasheba

Ellasheba New Member

Hello and thanks for your reply :) I have added my file now. Would you be able to have a look at what I've done? I wanted to use arrows to indicate the trend for rolling 12 months i.e up, down or the same...

Attached Files:

4. vletm

vletm Well-Known Member

Hmm..
    so far term 'Trend' has been something else ...
    Now You'll have arrows too...

Attached Files:

Thomas Kuriakose likes this.
  5. Ellasheba

Ellasheba New Member

Hi Vletm - I don't think I am explaining myself too well. I only want one arrow based on a 12 month period of data, not one for every month..
    Thank you for your help though...
  6. NARAYANK991

NARAYANK991 Excel Ninja

Hi ,

I am not sure what you want , but see if you can make any use of what is in the uploaded workbook.

The trendline equation is used to generate data for the trendline , which is then used for the sparkline.

Narayan

Attached Files:

7. Ellasheba

Ellasheba New Member

Narayan. Wow that looks great. I have 22 others to do, but that is exactly what I need to show. Thank you
  8. Ellasheba

Ellasheba New Member

Narayan. Will this work if some months have zero data? It doesn't seem to allow expon. trend lines when there is zero in my data :-/