• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Copy and paste going up

I know you can drag down formulas by placing your cursor on the lower right hand side of a cell. My question is can you write a formula in say row 100 like (=A100+ 1) and drag it up to row 1?

I will try to explain what I am trying to do and perhaps someone may be able to help and understand. Maybe think of a better way to do this. The counters work always going up in numbers and never having a 0 (zero) so after a 9 it starts over again at 1 123456789. 12345789 they work every other digit "up"
or
So 1234 can be 1334 or 1235
that's one scenario

the other
1234 can be 2234 or 1244
it works like this forever and ever. I'm wanting to be able to build up to perhaps 20 different patterns going up perhaps 10 rows. But what this really means is every time I get a new number they split and double. So, the 1st number becomes 2 like the scenario above. Now you can see I have 4 new numbers to go up 1334 and 1235 and then the other set 2234 and 1244. These two sets will become 8. I have done a few in the attached spreadsheet. The conditional formatting is important. Again all even numbers are Green font with gray shade, Odd are red font with yellow shade
Thank you all !

I am trying to add numbers going up like the attached spread sheet

Attachments

• counters split and go up.xlsx
    12 KB · Views: 8
Hi, Jack-P-Winner!
You can drag a drop any cell form its bottom right little square in any of the four directions.
Regards!
PS: And no, NE, NW, SE & SW aren't valid directions. :p

Hi ,

If I have understood your requirement correctly , you have a 4-digit number , and you wish to write down the different combinations going up 3 places from the original row , where in each row , there can be a change of 1 digit.

If this is so , then going up from row 1 to row 2 , there can be 3 changes of digits in the units place , 3 changes in the tens place , 3 in the hundreds place , and 3 in the thousands place ; thus there will be a total of 3 x 3 x 3 x 3 = 81 numbers.

Do you want to list down these 81 numbers ?

Narayan

Hi, Jack-P-Winner!
The bad news: No, actually I haven't done anything more than reading to get your point but didn't try any approach. Sorry.
The good news: Don't worry about not having compass, surely you can use your tablet/smartphone (you'd be kinda fan boy so they must be iPad Air and iPhone 5S) as they have GPS built-in features. :)
Regards!

Hi ,

If I have understood your requirement correctly , you have a 4-digit number , and you wish to write down the different combinations going up 3 places from the original row , where in each row , there can be a change of 1 digit.

If this is so , then going up from row 1 to row 2 , there can be 3 changes of digits in the units place , 3 changes in the tens place , 3 in the hundreds place , and 3 in the thousands place ; thus there will be a total of 3 x 3 x 3 x 3 = 81 numbers.

Do you want to list down these 81 numbers ?

Narayan

I think we may be talking about the same thing It is really pretty simple. Either the 1st and 3rd digit will count up or the 2nd and 4th. That's it Nothing else to it besides each time 1 counter becomes 2 then 2 becomes 4, 4 becomes 8 and 9 becomes 16 and so on

I added another page to the attachment for a better understanding on how it looks but it can look intimidating. Just remember its the 1st and 3rd and the 2nd and 4th numbers that go up.

If you do a Macro can you please include the spread sheet as I do not understand how to take the code and place it and then get it to run.

Thank you !!!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gr9n4s9laahri5c/counters split and go up.xlsx

Hi ,

Nothing is intimidating if it is explained clearly.

With reference to your uploaded file , you have shown 8 situations with the starting number on the bottom row being 9537. Are these the only situations possible after going 3 rows up ? Or are there more ? If so , how many ?

Narayan

Thanks for the response. These counters will go up 3000 rows It switching back and forth from - 1st and 3rd digit to 2nd and 4th will always be the same. The 8 will become 16 and the 16 will become 32 different counters. How I will use this tool is like this. A pattern is produced. I'm looking for different patterns that "MAY" happen in the future so I'm going to put the counter number in and run this Macro or formula and hopefully it will produce 32 to 64 different patterns I will then look at these and try to determine which one "fits" what has already happened (already on my spreadsheet from previous games) my so to speak Master program produces these patterns and what has always happens it does a mirror image a lot of the time so m hoping to find the mirror image from this to know wha to use next. I will upload what I'm talking about with the mirror image

Last edited:
Here is an example of a mirror image and there are lots of different mirrors this will produce

Attachments

• Mirror Image.png
    Mirror Image.png
    36.4 KB · Views: 6
Hi ,

You are explaining what you know ; we are trying to understand what we still do not know.

The gap will never be bridged unless you make an effort to answer what we ask , instead of explaining in more and more detail what you know.

I had asked a couple of questions earlier , and even after several posts these remain unanswered.

You talk of mirror images ; a mirror image is a pattern over several rows ; a permutation is a single row ; a macro can generate all the possible permutations starting from a single pattern ; thus , given a pattern such as 9537 to start with , a macro can list out all the possible permutations that will result from this pattern. Whether these permutations can result in an image that you are looking for , depends on how these permutations are arranged with respect to one another.

You talk of 3000 rows ; if we are not able to understand what you want after 3 rows , then 3000 rows is not going to change matters.

I will repeat my question as a last hope ; if you can answer this , I can possibly try to help , otherwise please count me out.

If we start from 9537 , the possible permutations after 3 rows will be 3 x 3 x 3 x 3 = 81 ; some of these permutations are listed in the attached file ; please go through the file , and comment. I have not listed the permutations which result from the first digit 9 changing to 1.

Narayan

Attachments

12.6 KB · Views: 1
Nan, I understand what you are asking. In the spreadsheet the number sequence is incorrect on sheet 2 that is why I was trying to explain again and again. When you say 81. Do you mean I will wind up having 81 sets of 4 digits? I do not understand where you are getting 81 and how it relates to what I am asking. In sheet 2 for example you have in column A 9537-9637-9737-9837 going up and that is not what I am asking for. You have all of them in every row counting up in a sequence never changing the 4th digit or 1st or 2nd or 3rd in different columns. Either I do not understand what you are asking or you do not understand what I am asking. That is why I keep explaining. The logic that I am asking is really quite simple. Either the 1st and 3rd change or the 2nd and 4th "that's it nothing more" . If you look at the example I have on the 1st sheet in rows 39-31 starting at row 39 and go up you will see that it counts UP like I am trying to explain.

Also,it is extremely important to do the cells like I have the conditional formatting in that each digit goes in "1" cell and color coded not 4 digits in a cell which I have explained above and also in the other sheets. I appreciate you trying to help and that is why I also said do not let this intimidate you are anyone else. I do not know how to program Macros but I am not asking for any math functions in this besides to count up 1 digit at a time so again I do not know where this 3x3x3x3x3 comes from. Again carefully look at the example I put on sheet 1 and REALLY study it going up and you will soon see what I am asking for by the 1st and 3rd and 2nd and 4th digits moving

Attachments

16.4 KB · Views: 1
Hi ,

Let me understand your numbers in row 39 through 31 ; please note that it is immaterial whether we have all the 4 digits in one cell or in 4 cells ; we are basically dealing with numbers ; 9537 is the same number whether all the 4 digits are in one cell or they are spread out over 4 cells.

Starting with the number 9537 , the other numbers in that column have been arrived at after changing the digits in the following sequence :

2nd
1st
2nd
1st
4th
3rd
2nd
3rd

Is this correct ?

If so , what I can understand is that we always have to alternate between the two sets ( 1st and 3rd ) and ( 2nd and 4th ).

Thus a result such as :

is invalid , because in the second row ( 9637 ) we are changing the 2nd digit , and in the 3rd row ( 9737 ) we are again changing the 2nd digit , instead of the 1st or the 3rd. Is this correct ?

In which case , you are asking for sequences which will result from such permutations ; is a permutation which alters only one set of digits valid ? Suppose , starting with 9537 , we keep changing alternately only the 1st and 2nd digits ; will this be valid ? For example , suppose we had a column :

would this be of any use ? What is the ultimate objective of generating such a column sequence of numbers ?

Narayan

YAY!!!!! We are almost there Nan THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Thanks for your patience with me o this as this will save me a lot of time.

okay, the second set is correct

The only change is the numbers split every time a new counter is appears AND it alternates such as

or

then it keeps on splitting this time the two counters become 4 because I have to treat each one separate and do the same thing with them as the first two

9647 9548 1637 1538
9547 9547 1537
9537 9537 9537 9537

The next set becomes 8 because I have to take each counter and do the same thing

1647 9657 1548 9558 1637 1647 2538 1548
9647 9548 9548 16371637 1538 1538
9547 9547 9547 9547
1537 1537 1537 1537
9537 9537 9537 9537 95379537 9537 9537

The next wet will have 16 because the counters keep splitting

It does matter that the digits go in 4 cells rather than one because that is how my whole entire system works. I will be doing a lot of copying and pasting with the outcome of this and also pasting from other sheets to this one. I agree it does not matter because numbers are numbers but for my application its critical much like the formatting of the colored cells (green font with gray for even numbers) (red font with yellow for odd numbers) Every spreadsheet I have is coded this same way for this application

I live in Texas USA and t is 2:00 a.m. here. I am going to get a few hours sleep and will check back in a little while. Again Nan, THANK YOU for not giving up on me. It is difficult to do what you do due to not having any idea what I am thinking LOL and I think you are AMAZING that you can do this!!!!!

Hi ,

Can you check this file ?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dzo1olae9d6pw8h/counters split and go up_1.xlsx

I have inserted formulae in Sheet4 , to generate 8 columns of sequences ; there will be literally millions , and I doubt that any macro can generate all of them.

Obviously , the formulae I have used depend on the pattern entered in Sheet3 ; if you want to try out different patterns , you can enter them in Sheet3 , and see the results in Sheet4.

The patterns that have been generated in Sheet4 , from column A through column AM , are a result of the patterns in columns A through H , in Sheet3 ; if you want you can see the pattern of the formulae and copy them across further columns from column AO onwards.

Narayan

Hey Nan!!

That's exactly what I am looking for with couple minor fixes I hope. In sheet 4 its kind of jumbled and not in any order as far as I have to search for the counter when it goes up and they are all over the place and some are missing. See attached for example 1559 is missing. I have not studied the entire sheet. I thought I would wait for the count to be right first. This being said....YOU ARE AWESOME AND THE BOMB NAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Attachments

• almost there.png
    almost there.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 1559 missing.png
    1559 missing.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 3
I do not understand where to put a new counter number(s) to generate what's on sheet 4. On sheet 3 it starts on row 7681 with all 1's and goes up to various digits and none are say 1537 for example

Hi ,

Can you check this file ?

I have inserted formulae in Sheet4 , to generate 8 columns of sequences ; there will be literally millions , and I doubt that any macro can generate all of them.

Obviously , the formulae I have used depend on the pattern entered in Sheet3 ; if you want to try out different patterns , you can enter them in Sheet3 , and see the results in Sheet4.

The patterns that have been generated in Sheet4 , from column A through column AM , are a result of the patterns in columns A through H , in Sheet3 ; if you want you can see the pattern of the formulae and copy them across further columns from column AO onwards.

Narayan

Hi ,

There is no fix required ; you need to do it yourself , since this is a DIY worksheet.

Sheet3 has a columnar pattern , which you need to put in ; based on the pattern you put in there , the resulting numbers are generated on Sheet4 ; I have put in 32 basic patterns in Sheet3 , in groups of 8 , in columns A through H , columns J through Q , columns S through Z and columns AB through AI.

Corresponding to the first 8 columnar patterns in columns A through H in Sheet3 , I have put in the formulae in Sheet4 , in the columns A through D , columns F through I , columns K through N ,...., columns AJ through AM.

Each columnar pattern in Sheet3 corresponds to a set of 4 columns in Sheet4 ; thus the columnar pattern in column A in Sheet3 directly results in the pattern in columns A through D in Sheet4.

Thus , if you want to observe a pattern in columns A through D in Sheet4 , just change the pattern of numbers in column A ; enter any sequence of numbers between 1 and 4 in the sequence that you have described ; thus , starting from row 7681 ,you can enter a sequence such as 3 , 4 , 1 , 2 , 1 , 4 , 3 , 2 and see what kind of pattern results in columns A through D in Sheet4.

Narayan

I have been laying round with this for about an hour now and it is too confusing to me. Example: I enter 8 digits across 7681 4532 and 3531 and nothing happens. I am looking for something I can simply place a 4 digit number in 4 cells click on a button and all the different patterns appear. I am not looking for something that is going to take up a lot of time and having to change several rows of data. Am I missing something?

Attachments

• Results.xlsx
    13.9 KB · Views: 1
Hi ,

I am sorry but I cannot go any further ; I hope someone else will step in to help.

I have entered 3531 in row 7682 ; rows 7681 upwards have formulae ; you cannot enter anything anywhere in those rows.

The 4 digit pattern that you wish to start from has to be entered in row 7682 in Sheet4.

Based on the column patterns which have been entered in columns A through H in Sheet3 , the patterns on Sheet4 will result.

Narayan

Thank you so much for your hard efforts In helping me. I too am sorry we could not get there and hopefully someone else can chime in I will continue to mess around with it.

Question: If I place around 10 rows of numbers in sheet 3. Where would I place them (which rows) and what makes them run to form a pattern? OR, is the pattern on sheet 4 the only pattern it will produce?

Hi ,

I think you have been playing around with numbers for so long that you have lost touch with words !

I have explained in so many words what you need to do in my earlier posts.

I'll try one last time.

The workbook I have uploaded has 2 sheets , Sheet3 and Sheet4.

Sheet3 has only values.

Sheet4 has formulae.

Let us now assume that your starting 4 digit number is 3531.

Put this number in row 7682 , one digit in each of the cells A7682 , B7682 , C7682 and D7682.

A7682 will contain the number 3 ,
B7682 will contain the number 5 ,
C7682 will contain the number 3 , and
D7682 will contain the number 1.

That is all the data entry you need to do in Sheet4.

Go to Sheet3 and in column A , from row 7681 upwards , you will see the values 1 , 2 , 1 , 2 , 1,....

Instead of this alternating sequence of numbers 1 and 2 , put in any other pattern of your choice , say 2 , 3 , 4 , 1 , 4 , 3 , 2 , 1 , 2.

Now go to Sheet4 , and see the numbers in the cells A7681 , B7681 , C7681 and D7681 , as well as the numbers in the rows upwards have changed to reflect the new sequence of values you entered above viz. 2 , 3 , 4 , 1 , 4 , 3 , 2 , 1 , 2 as compared to the earlier 1 , 2 , 1 , 2 , 1 , 2 , 1 , 2 , 1.

Narayan

LOL, DUH LOL, well, that was a nice way to tell me I am a dummy LOL and your correct. I live, breathe, sleep with these patterns that I know them in my dreams. Without exaggeration, I average 40-60 hrs a week studying these patterns and have for almost a year now so you are correct. I need to slow down long enough t read the fine print. Thanks Nan!!!

Pretty cool Nan and this may work. hmm okay, if I want to run the pattern that I am asking for to start with the 1st and 3rd to change then the 2nd and 4th back to 1st and 3rd and back to 2nd and 4th. How would I enter that?

Hi ,

Great.

The way you have posted it , can you change the digits in 2 places at the same time ?

If not , for the pattern that you have posted , enter it in Sheet3 , in column A , as follows :

A7674 : 4
A7675 : 3
A7676 : 2
A7677 : 1
A7678 : 4
A7679 : 3
A7680 : 2
A7681 : 1

Narayan

Thanks that did it. yeah, I will need something else done, this does a great job displaying a pattern but it does not split them the way I need it done. Again THANKS!!!!

Back