• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Putting it all together

Hi all --
A friend asked me what the best way to link together 5+ network workbooks that different people use throughout the day. There is no guarantee that all the workbooks will be open at the same time. I thought if we had a "bridge" workbook that is always open (can that be stored on the network and not on an individual desktop) and information can funnel into the bridge then populate a workbook when it's open. Any thoughts on the best way to do something like this? Non VBA would be preferred.
thanks
Lawrence

Is the "bridge" supposed to be a summary/output of the 5 files, or do the 5 files feed from the bridge?

Hi Lawrence ,

You need to think that if 5 people work on 5 workbooks which need to be linked together , are there reasons they cannot work using just one workbook ?

There are disadvantages to using a shared workbook , but whether these will pose problems needs to be looked into.

Narayan

Hi, Lawrence Dodge!
I'd do it in Access, each worksheet of each workbook as a table a priori, but it'll all depend on their structure and on what are they linked for. Without that, not even a blind shot.
Regards!

We've looked at combining everything, but unfortunately different people are working on the various workbooks at the same time so I don't think that would be viable not to mention each of the individual workbooks are rather large by themselves and combining them would just slow everything down more. As for the Access idea, I like it but unfortunately Access is NOT my strong suit.
I figured the bridge would work something like A --> B --> C or C --> B --> A with B being the bridge, this is only an idea but anyway you think it will work, will be great.
thanks

Hi, Lawrence Dodge!
At a first glance it appears to be highly impractical, IMHO. I think that you should re-analyze the flow of data, and only after doing that then decide if Excel is the right holder for the information from the input/update to the output/display/print actions.
Regards!

I would echo SirJB, it sounds like a bad idea. We might be able to cobble something together, but it would be an ugly, unstable beast. :(

That is what I thought you would say. I agree with you that it would at best be an "ugly, unstable beast" but think of the challenge to make it work -- fun fun:) seriously though if you have some thoughts on how to make this a bit more stable, don't be shy. Unfortunately our budget doesn't have anything in it for going to a database :(

@Luke M
Hi!
Should I understand that your last comment intentionally has a comma instead of the word "and" between "ugly" and "unstable"? If so... :rolleyes:o_O
Regards!

@Luke M
Hi!
Should I understand that your last comment intentionally has a comma instead of the word "and" between "ugly" and "unstable"? If so... :rolleyes:o_O
Regards!
Since ugly is an adverb, while unstable is an adjective, neither way is correct. Should be:
"ugly unstable beast"
where the adverb modifies the adjective, and the adjective modifies the noun. I'll remember now that you are a master at English grammar. :rolleyes: :p

Back