• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Plotting variance of actual against budgeted data

jayexcel1

Hi,
I have with me budgeted volume and revenue data as well as their respective actual.
From this I have calculated the variance from Budgeted values and their percentages.

I would like to show the month on month as well as YTD comparison (volume & revenue) between actuals and budgeted data.

Please suggest how should I go about charting the attached data (volume as well as revenue).

jay.

Attachments

• Actual vs Budget.xlsx
    10.2 KB · Views: 3
Hi Jay,

I'm assuming that you wanted:
  • Both Volume and Revenue on Same chart
  • To plot the % variance
Many ways to do this, but with those assumptions, here's quick chart you can make. It's a line chart using the months and YTD as labels.
upload_2015-3-4_10-49-9.png

Attachments

• Actual vs Budget LM.xlsx
    12.6 KB · Views: 4
Hi Somendra & Luke,

First of all thanks a lot for taking time out to reply to me. Luke guessed it right; I also wanted to plot the %variance along with the volumes. However, I would also like to explore the possibility to include the "Variance from Budget" values. Any suggestions?

Luke@ Can you please guide me on how to make the above chart proposed by you.
You said it's a line chart. (so was the line color set to white?)
y-axis (%) is towards the right side of the chart. How can we do that?
YTD value is plotted to the right of y-axis. How did you achieve that?

jay

Correct, it is a line chart. Format each series, Line color - No Line.

For the horizontal axis, change Major tick mark to be "cross", Axis labels "high" (so they appear at top), and have the veritical axis cross at category 13 (so that YTD is on other side of axis.

For vertical axis, change major tick mark to show "Cross".

Back