• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Personal.xlsb crashes excel when opening VBA/Macro list

Xen

So I edited one of my macros today, nothing special, just changed few variables and added some simple select/unmerge actions. Saved it, opened test workbook, tested macro and it worked as expected. Then I closed excel.

Later, when I needed to run a macro, I opened list of macros and it crashed excel. I tried opening VBA and result was the same - crash. Every time I do anything macro related, I crash.
I removed perosnal.xlsb from XLSTART and everything works fine except I don't have any macros.

So, here is the question. How do I extract my macros from personal.xlsb? I tried unpacking xlsb and opened vbaProject.bin with notepad, it was a mess.

Xen

Try saving it as personal.xlsm in the Start directory
You will need to remove the xlsb version or rename it

Thanks, Hui, I tried, saving this file crashes excel as well, even in the same xlsb format.

I've searched through my recycle bin and found autorecover version of personal.xlsb from 3 months ago, which does not have latest additions, but at least it works and has some most essential macros in it.
I will redo all the lost macros, not that much work from this point now.

But still, if anybody knows the way to extract VBA code from file without using Excel, that'd be great.

For now, I have one more idea, I will try opening file with OpenOffice when I am home, I think it supports excel macros.

Did you try doing a Google search for the following words "Personal.xlsb crashes excel"

There are a number of articles that discuss this?

Yes, I tired googling, there was nothing like my problem, mostly personal.xlsb not loading at all, problems at very start (an not when opening VBA) or problems with running specific macro. Most useful result there is now this thread :)

Back