• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Dynamic Dropdowns Issue.

Mark Bit

http://chandoo.org/wp/2014/02/13/dynamic-cascading-dropdowns-that-reset

So I am racking my brain. I keep getting an error “the list source must be a delimited list” when trying to do sub-2.

And the bizarre thing is I even manipulated the Sample File to match 100% what I have on mine. It works… but, on MY file, I get the error. The formulas in the Name Managers match exactly. I have the table names matching. I have the sheet names matching. The table data matches. Yet on mine, I get the error.

Yes, I could just keep the manipulated file as my running file. But, just like most on here, I want to learn and figure out where I am going wrong.

Give a man a fish – he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats forever.

Anyone know where (probably stupidly) I went wrong?

Attached is my example, and FGH are of the first tab are where I want the drop downs.

***I used the template (from the link above) and transferred my data into the created tables. I renamed the tabs to match mine. I renamed the tables to match mine. And I moved the table/cell locations to match mine. And it worked. My Name Manager formulas matched exactly. However, the odd thing is, on the example I downloaded - although it worked - IF I were to clear the validation - and redo it .... I would get the error. But, if I left it alone, it would work.... bizarre stuff.

Attachments

• Template - 11-21- Example.xlsx
    41.8 KB · Views: 7
Calling in some reinforcements...
@jeffreyweir , do you have time to take a look at this? Since you wrote the article, hopefully you're more familiar with what's going on here?

Hi Mark ,

Are you saying that you have a problem with the file you have uploaded ?

I put in the DV dropdown formula =SubList in G2 and H2 ; in F2 it is =MainList.

Everything works properly.

Can you explain what problem you are facing ?

Narayan

Hi Mark ,

Are you saying that you have a problem with the file you have uploaded ?

I put in the DV dropdown formula =SubList in G2 and H2 ; in F2 it is =MainList.

Everything works properly.

Can you explain what problem you are facing ?

Narayan

I have attached screenshots of my Error, as well as verification of my Formula. It is cut off, but I think you can assume that the formula matches what you have.

Attachments

• Error on G2 Validation.JPG
    Error on G2 Validation.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Name Manager Ref while in G2.JPG
    Name Manager Ref while in G2.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 7
Hi Mark ,

This is the way Excel works !

Ensure that in F2 , you have already made a valid selection , so that it is not showing Choose... ; now , if you introduce the data validation in G2 , there will be no problem.

Once you have introduced the data validation in G2 , you can now select Choose... in F2 ; if you go back to G2 and click on the dropdown arrow , it will not display anything , but the data validation will be intact. As and when you make a valid selection in F2 , G2 will display the appropriate list.

Narayan

Thank you SO much! I could have sworn I tried every combination of ways, including this way, but apparently I didn't.

Man, do I feel so defeated - this took quite a bit out of me yesterday. Thanks!

Hi Mark. In the book I'm writing - Excel for Superheroes and Evil Geniuses - I'm going to include a VBA routine that lets users set these things up effortlessly. And I have a much better way of doing it now that accepts a Flat File or PivotTable as a data source for dynamic dropdowns, and that lets you have duplicate items in the sub hierarchies.

Because as you've found, this existing method is way too complicated.

Back