• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Data validation issue

bnpdkh

I am wondering how to set up data validation that only returns a portion of what is contained in item selected in drop down list. A little backround to help explain; I have a validation where each item in the list begins with an acronym that is followed by a brief description. I do this so people are selecting the appropriate item from the drop down list. I know what each acronym stands for but some users do not. for example, When the user clicks on the drop down the following list will appear;
CON - Equipment configuration issue
MAT - Parts or material issue
AUT - Work authorization denied
If the user selects "CON - Equipment configuration issue" i only want CON to appear in cell. I have seen this type of list before but have never set one up myself. I have searched the web but have not come across this specific issue. I have also posted this in another forum with no feedback. This is my first thread in this forum and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Somendra is correct that you can't do it with just standard DV. You could get the apperance by using an ActiveX dropdown (no VB)

Attachments

• Example Dropdown.xlsx
    15 KB · Views: 12
Somendra/ Luke, thank you for your response. Do you have any additional info that would help me get started on solving this?.

That's a new one...file is corrupted when you try to open it, or it displays a blank screen?

Well, that's a new one. Can you over ride? The file is an xlsx, so it has no macros...would be much easier to show you how the DV is setup, rather than try to describe via words only.

Does MacAfee give a reason for blocking? Does it just block all downloads, or does it detect a problem?

Overall layout:
upload_2014-10-31_9-4-33.png

ActiveX dropdown's properties:
upload_2014-10-31_9-5-7.png
Note that ColumnCount =2, and then the LinkedCell and ListFillRange. I also manually adjusted the ColumnWidths

What dropdown looks like:
upload_2014-10-31_9-6-13.png

Not in another workbook, but could be in a different sheet. Easiest way to set that up is with a Named Range.

For multiple cells, either setup multiple boxes, or do something similar to this:
http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal11.html

Gets into a bit of coding, but Debra has a good tutorial.

Thank you Luke, this is working now. I was already looking at the tutorial you mentioned which provided the final piece required.

Back