• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

why Excel not automatic select whole database when just click on sort ?

I have just simple database (Refer attached Screen Shot)

why Excel not automatic select inserted or changed index of columns
when just click on sort ?

why we must manually select whole database before sorting when excel already provide that anywhere (on any single cell in database ), when pressed sort, automatic select whole database.

what is best way to realize excel that where i stay in database (on any cell of database) , that automatic select entire database without skip any column or row?

Attachments

• WHY EXCEL NOT AUTO SELECT SOME COLUMNS.jpg
    WHY EXCEL NOT AUTO SELECT SOME COLUMNS.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 14
In Excel 2010 & 2013 the Data, Sort command automatically expands to select the entire contiguous data set connected to the active cell. If you click on one cell in a database, Excel will automatically select the whole DB

If you select just 2 Columns or parts of two Columns, Excel will only sort those two columns and wont give you the options to select other cells

Looking at your screen shot you have selected data in Columns D:S and so Excel will honor your selection.

Instead of selecting the whole area click on any single cell then got Data, Sort

Last edited:
Dear Sir,
Goods joke, or screen shot may be mislead ,however, but i am really serious,
after stay one just one cell & clicked on sort after that i take screen shot & attached.

waiting for something helpful.

Chirag

Hi Chirag ,

Can you upload your workbook ?

Narayan

Dear Sir,

Of Course, actually there are above 40,000 lines but file is large in size
( displayed error when try to attach)so cut to fit your criteria. please find.

increase hope at my side....
waiting...
Thanks

Attachments

• COPY-COPY-FOR SENT TO PARTY W-14-AR25_CNF.xlsx
    491.7 KB · Views: 4
Hi Chirag ,

I am not able to understand the problem ; what I know is that the Sort feature remembers earlier selections ; it is possible that at some point in time , this data was sorted using the range that is shown selected when you place the cursor anywhere in columns D onwards.

However , if you place the cursor anywhere in columns C , B or A , the result is what Hui had mentioned ; the entire data range is selected for sorting , and there seem to be several levels of sorting already selected.

It's all very strange.

The strangest thing is that if the cursor is outside the data range , in column T or row 5001 , Excel selects the entire data range !

Narayan

Chirag

We try and answer peoples posts with sometimes the barest of information and at times barely a question.
So I don't appreciate comments like "waiting for something helpful.", You are implying I had wasted my time.

You may want to read the post at: http://chandoo.org/forum/threads/new-users-please-read.294/

In regards to your question, You have a Named Formula called Database that refers to Column D:S and so if you select a cell in that it is assuming you want to Sort the Named Range "Database"

If you select a Cell in Column A it allows sorting in all columns

or you can delete the Named Formula Database and hence can then select anywhere

Back