• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

How to automatically link cell colour to another cell

Lim Aina

Hi guys!

I'm new here...looking for advise on how can I link a cell colour onto another cell and have the second cell's colour automatically updates whenever the first cell colour is changed manually.

Example SHEET 1 cell A1 is set as GREY for the background colour. I want to link it to SHEET 2 cell A1 so that whenever I manually change the colour for SHEET 1 cell A1, SHETT 2 cell A1 automatically updates to the new colour as well.

Please help, I've searched all over the internet and can't seem to find any guides. I want to just link the cell colours, nothing to do with the cell values.

Thanks!

In short, you can't. XL is built around data. If the color of the cell is dependant upon a value, you can use conditional formatting to drive that.

In general, you should not use formatting/colors only to convey information. This causes problems for B/W prints, as well as the 10% of the population who are color blind. If colors are being use to highlight a part of data, try to have some meaning/reason behind the highlight, other than random picks.

Lim Aina,

While I do agree with Luke M about the data and colors being meaningful, I also use cell formatting to draw attention to input cells. With that in mind, you can select multiple sheets by using CTRL + clicking on desired sheet tabs and setting the formatting of all selected sheets at the same time.

However, you should take care when doing this that you select a single sheet when finished as any values you type while multiple sheets are selected will overwrite the values for those cells on all selected sheets. It might be wise to make a copy of the workbook just to be safe.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Ken

If designing a layout like Ken suggests, I would offer that it's a good idea to use Style formats from Home ribbon, which includes an Input option. If you do it this way, then later you can right-click the Input style on the ribbon, modify the format, and the change will apply to all cells that have that style.

Back