• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

What's the difference....

MMCNYC

Hi all...I am new to the blog but been a HUGE Chandoo fan for months. I have a spreadsheet that is compiled with lots of data and when finished compiling, my colleagues sheet is 1.4MB difference in size. So trying to understand why 1 sheet is 8.0MB while the other is 6.6MB. Please also note we have reviewed both sheets quite thoroughly and can't see anything that would cause such a big difference. I have even used Beyond Compare to help my analysis with no luck. Any thoughts or suggestions as to what I might be able to check within excel?

Thanks!!

MMCNYC

Firstly, Welcome to the Chandoo.org Forums

Excel can sometimes assign space to a file based on a slip of the mouse/keyboard
Say you data goes from A1 to M100
But in error you press Ctrl down arrow when on M100 and you end up at M1048576
and the press a key like space
Excel now believes that your active area is A1:M1048576

Similar things can happen if you select Whole Columns or Rows and apply formatting or Conditional Formatting

I wouldn't get hung up about it

If the size becomes and issue for emailing files etc, try saving the file as an Excel Binary File types *.xlsb

MMCNYC

Firstly, Welcome to the Chandoo.org Forums

Excel can sometimes assign space to a file based on a slip of the mouse/keyboard
Say you data goes from A1 to M100
But in error you press Ctrl down arrow when on M100 and you end up at M1048576
and the press a key like space
Excel now believes that your active area is A1:M1048576

Similar things can happen if you select Whole Columns or Rows and apply formatting or Conditional Formatting

I wouldn't get hung up about it

If the size becomes and issue for emailing files etc, try saving the file as an Excel Binary File types *.xlsb
THANKS!

Back